The Captiva Island Yacht Club is proud to organize and sponsor this year’s Junior Sailing Camp. We are grateful for the Tween Waters Inn, who has allowed us to use their property and for Edison Sailing Center, who graciously agreed to manage and instruct this year’s program. Edison Sailing Center has been instructing young sailors for over 25 years.
Our program is 10 days in duration (Monday to the following Friday). Each day students will have sailing instruction, cool down lunchtime, and kayaking instruction. We will be running two sessions this year. The first session is to teach the basics to the beginning sailors and the second session will build on prior experience and focus more advanced racing and sailing skills.
Objective of the Program:
At the end of the session your child should be able to sail a boat single-handed. They will also be educated in boat safety and able to kayak independently.
What is Provided:
- Each child is assigned to their own sailboat and kayak.
- Sailboats used are Optimist Pram, Sunfish or Laser, depending upon age/skill level of the student.
- Everything you child will need for instruction is provided unless otherwise noted.
What is NOT Provided:
- Personal Floatation Device (PFD)
- Lunches, Snacks, Drinks (except water from water fountain), Sunscreen, Towel, Hat
Each Session will have 3 certified instructors and between 10 and 16 students. In the unlikely event we do not have at least 10 students we may cancel the session. Registration deadline June 1st.
- Swim 50 yards
- Tread water for one minute
- Put on a PFD while in the water
- Swim 50 yards wearing the PFD
Parents & Friends’ Day:
The final day of each session, parents and family members are invited to come and observe the students’ new sailing and marine skills. More details will be provided.