CIYC has purchased and received donations of a fleet of 12 Optimist prams and 6 Sunfish. We have also hired Marshall Long as our lead Instructor for the program. Marshall is a retired Special Ed teacher from the Lee County School District and certified as a U.S. Coast Guard Captain as well as a Level One and Two U.S. Sailing Instructor. He has taught with the Edison Sailing Center for the past three years and is now going to be working with us in the summer and scheduled times during the year to provide sailing instruction to our island community.
This year we will be starting our summer sailing program with the 1st Session on June 15th through June 26th and 2nd Session on July 13th through 24th. We are now having Fun Fridays during the sessions and a Family Sail day on the final Friday of each session.
Objective of the Program:
What is Provided:
- Each child is assigned to their own sailboat and kayak.
- Sailboats used are Optimist Pram, Sunfish or Laser, depending upon age/skill level of the student.
- Everything you child will need for instruction is provided unless otherwise noted.
What is NOT Provided:
- Personal Floatation Device (PFD)
- Lunches, Snacks, Drinks (except water from water fountain), Sunscreen, Towel, Hat
- Swim 50 yards
- Tread water for one minute
- Put on a PFD while in the water
- Swim 50 yards wearing the PFD